Model United Nations, MUN for short, are conferences for students based on what takes place at the United Nations (UN). There are hundreds of conferences worldwide to participate in and students attend as delegates representing members of the UN. During the conferences, the delegates sit on committees and discuss topics which are relevant in the UN at that time. Strict debating and voting rules are followed. Conferences are usually held in English.
Through MUN, students acquire a range of skills. They learn how:
1. to research and analyse information,
2. to debate and negotiate in groups,
3. to confidently speak in public,
4. it is important for every inhabitant of our planet to take responsibility for the problems affecting us,
5. to interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds, and
6. in some cases, to speak and write in English more fluently.
Apart from the educational experience, MUN conferences also offer a social side as well and students form many long-lasting friendships. But be warned, MUN is addictive. Once you start, you will not be able to stop!